Wednesday, November 07, 2007

On the Righteous Breaking of Rules

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago's Police Department is investigating an officer's use of a Taser last month on an 82-year-old woman who police say was swinging a hammer when they arrived.

Lillian Fletcher was rushed to the hospital after being jolted by the Taser last week but has been released, police said Tuesday.

Officials with the city's Department on Aging went to her home Oct. 29 to make a welfare check and called police when they saw Fletcher in a window swinging a hammer, police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Tuesday.

Officers arrived and in an attempt to subdue Fletcher, one of them used a Taser, Bond said. The department is trying to determine whether the officer violated department policy on the use of stun guns.

Link

Their greatest concern is whether tasering an elderly woman violates department policy...

Yes, I'm sure "department policy" permits using a taser on an (age-inspecific) person wielding a hammer. ...But an 82-year-old woman? You don't have to be a decorated kick boxer to evade her Hammer of Death.

A more appropriate question is, 'What will my friends think when they find out I had to taser an elderly woman who was wielding a hammer?"

It's like these tough-guy CIA interrogators who torture people. They're whining and quaking like little bitches now that there is the prospect of being punished for their heinous behavior. "But my actions didn't violate department policy! I had a shit-caked piece of paper that said I wouldn't get in trouble!"

I ignore all man-made law. I comply with it only to the degree that my behavior would mirror its prescriptions anyway.

We've got too many laws and department guidelines that serve not to encourage decent behavior, but to permit the reprehensible.

"Hey, fellers! Guess what I did today at work! I made one guy fuck another one in tha'ass and then I waterboarded another and made another guy drink his own piss! Yep, I'm so tough that I do exactly what I can't get in trouble for. ...Aren't you proud of me? Hoorah! ...Now I'm goin' home to fuck mah girlfriend and throw a beer bottle at some fag walkin' down the road. And then I'll rub mah fat belly as I watch TV."