Friday, September 08, 2006

Will's Pub

Will's Pub in Orlando is where I got my start. I did five new minutes a week there for a year. (Of those five minutes, two and a half worked right out of the gate, one and a quarter could work with some retooling, and one and a quarter had to be unceremoniously discarded as misguided rubbish. One of the disadvantages to the blog-format is that the misguided rubbish never goes away.)

Will's is (was) a stinking shithole of a bar. It always stunk of beer and piss. Comedy happened there. (As well as poetry and some excellent music.) It has now been closed to make way for yet another podiatry center or something in the silver-haired mecca of Orlando.

I stole this from Kelly Fitzpatrick's column: Column

My answers follow each question.

----Begin now:-----

Will's Pub Survey!

1. Have you been to Will's Pub? Yes.

2. Do the wonderfuly talented bartenders at Will's Pub usually know what you drink before you order & have it ready for you? No. I usually drank something different. I didn't want the CIA knowing what I drank so that they could put a roofie or something in it.

3. Did you discover a new "favorite" beer at Will's Pub? No. But I discovered lots of really good ones.

4. Have you ever been embarrassingly drunk at Will's Pub? Yes. They don't call it "Fin du Monde" for nothing. It's triple brewed or whatever. Try doing a set after drinking three Fin du Mondes in an hour.

5. Ever thrown up at Will's Pub? No. I know what I'm doing.

6. Passed out at Will's Pub? No.

7. Driven home drunk from Will's Pub? My, yes.

8. Left your car overnight at Will's? No. I'd rather drive with one eye closed.

9. Left your car for days (over 24hrs) at Will's Pub? No.

10. Have you ever smuggled liqueur into Will's? No. I don't drink liquor.

11. Ever done shots of "said" liqueur in the back with employees? No.

12. Have you used the wrong restroom for your "sex type"? Yes. It makes no difference there. Use the women's; it makes no difference.

13. Used the "V.I.P." greenroom/bathroom? I never knew about that.

14. Have you ever had sex anywhere in or on Will's Pub property, excluding the Motor Inn? Not...really...

15. Ever hang out in one of the Motor Inn rooms? No.

16. Stayed/slept in one of the Motor Inn rooms? No.

17. Have you been fully or partially nude at Will's Pub? Yes. In someone's car.

18. Have you ever seen Will fully or partially nude at Will's Pub? No.

19. Have you ever seen any of the barstaff fully or partially nude? No.

20. Have you ever left Will's Pub missing articles of clothing? Yes. But I was most concerned about losing my $500 wireless mic that one time. But it was no one's fault but my own; I was stinking drunk.

21. Have you ever been in costume at Will's Pub? No.

22. Have you ever done anything illegal at Will's Pub? Yes.

23. Ever purchased any food that was available at Will's? They served food?

24. Have you had food delivered to Will's? No.

25. Did you eat any late night left over meat from the lot cart? No.

26. Have ever gotten into a non verbal fight at Will's Pub? No.

27. Have you ever bet on a pool, air hockey, pinball, video, or dart game? I would play a game of pool, gambling that I could home with someone, yes.

28. Have you ever walked out on your tab at Will's? Only accidently. I settled up later.

29. Have you ever borrowed money from a Will's employee? No.

30. Have you ever ended up drunk, in the lake behind Will's? Not _in_ the lake, no.

31. Have you been on stage at Will's? Yes.

32. Have you been in a band that has played at Will's Pub? No.

33. Did you ever see bands play on the corner stage in the front room? No.

34. How about on a table top stage? No.

35. If you had to guess, in total how much money have you spent on the juke-box at Will's? $100.

36. Same question but now how much on the photo booth? $5.

37.What's the best musical act that you "stumbled" upon at Will's Pub? Milka.

38. What's the most memorable local band show you've attended at Will's Pub? I think I saw the Joint Chiefs there.

39. National/regional band? Don't know.

40. Did you meet your current or one of your girl/boyfriend or husband/wife at Will's Pub? I met Taffy Nuts there. (Two great eggs hanging from a strap of taffy.) He asked of me, "Is this when I get my bellyful of genius?" I nearly choked on my beer. ...But that was just a one-night thing.

41. Did you lose your girl/boyfriend or husband/wife at Will's Pub, or from an incident that happened at Will's? No.

42. Did you meet one or more of your closest friends at Will's Pub? I would say so, yes.