Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I have deer in my yard.

I live at the edge of town, on a ridge of about five acres. That ridge is situated among other topographical structures such that hunters don't find this area suitable for hunting. Point is, no one hunts in this area.

So I have wild turkeys and foxes and owls and peregrine falcons and deer on my property. It's like a game preserve on my land.

Last evening I was sitting on the back porch, in the old-person chair that was left here when I bought the house. The cloth strapping under the cushion has sagged, so sitting in this chair really means sitting on the wooden supports. I'm going to have to get a different chair.

One of the deer in the area is a young buck. I don't know much about deer, but I think he would be called a spikehorn. Not much in the horn department, but he's got some...

He walked across the backyard and stopped about twenty feet away. He looked at me. I said hi with a weird look in my eye, in my idiot-savant sort of way, and he flicked his tail and twitched his ears and ducked his head. He jumped around a little bit. He was looking for a friend and wanted to play. He obviously liked me.

So I have a new friend now.