Wednesday, August 09, 2006

An Audience of the Soft and Stupid

Reference Alert

"Do you know in what year 9-11 occurred?"

[Confused] "I think it was the year I got my prescription drug benefits. Or maybe it was when Medicare paid for my Hoveround. Oh, I can't remember. And who cares? I never use it anyhow; I can't get it into the RV. ... 9-11... When does it come on?... It's after Golden Girls, isn't it? That's right: I watch Golden Girls and then play some tennis at the clubhouse and come home and watch Fox News. See that? [motions toward mantle] That's a signed photo of Sean Hannity. Some of us here at Whispering Pines have a little contest going to see who can get the most signed photos of our heroes. ... Sure, I've heard that cockamamie story that 9-11 was an inside job. That's just crazy talk. Logically it has to be, because otherwise [gulp] I won't get my free meds. And then we couldn't afford to go to the Poconos this year. So who cares what year it happened? ...Fox warned me about people like you. You're one of the insurgents, aren't you?"