Thursday, December 06, 2007

If I were up against Bonkers Bolton on the High School Debate Team,

I would win the Minimalism in Debate prize.

Bolton could go on and on, taking nary a breath in warning the audience of a gun-shy intelligence community, certain factions' desires to torpedo the Bush Administration, intelligence services' affinity for policy formulation rather than analysis, Iranian disinformation, and all manner of skulduggery that resulted in a National Intelligence Estimate that we heed at our mortal peril.

Then he'd sit down to tepid applause and I would rise from my seat and approach the lectern.

Standing there, I'd take a glance around, clear my throat, and lean into the microphone:

"Israel flew planes into the World Trade Center. ... ...I appreciate your giving me this opportunity to frame the debate properly. Thank you."